By LYNETTE HAALAND, Four Points News
Lake Travis Fire Rescue reported several small fires from fireworks over the Fourth of July holiday weekend.
“The communities were relatively safe this year when using fireworks. We did not receive reports of injuries as a result of improper or unsafe firework use, but did respond to a few small fires that were confirmed to have been started by fireworks,” said Robert Abbott, Fire Chief of LTFR Travis County ESD 6.
Some fires were not confirmed to have been started by fireworks, but were in areas where callers and neighbors reported heavy firework use before fire units arrived, Abbott added.
The Steiner Ranch HOA responded to homeowners violating the no fireworks rule.
“We sent out 10 letters (Monday) about fireworks to homeowners violating the rule from complaints we received. They were all first violations, so they all received warnings,” said Sharon Adams, Steiner HOA spokesperson.
Abbott said, “While we have had some wet weather, we remind the community to not forget that we are still in a drought and to be responsible when using fireworks.”
LTFR responded to a fire in a trash bin that was started by improperly deposed firework materials.
The Travis County Sheriff’s Office did not have serious calls over the Fourth of July holiday weekend.
“Dispatch said that there were the usual calls but nothing serious to report concerning fireworks,” said Roger Wade, TCSO spokesperson.
LTFR reminds the community to always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and safety precautions when using fireworks.